Car accident, Claims
Motor vehicle, Traffic accident, Road

Car accident claims happen because of a crash or any road traffic accident. You will need to know, “how do I settle a car accident claim and need help with your vehicle damage claim and getting a hire vehicle while your vehicle is being repaired?” We can answer all of your questions and process any traffic or car collision claim throughout Ireland.

Just call us or send us an email and we will answer any questions you have concerning your traffic accident. We will make things quick and easy for you. We have been helping people in Ireland for years with all types of road-related crashes.

Motor vehicle accidents can also occur when you are involved in a road crash by the negligence of a third party with a car, lorry, van, motorbike, bus, bicycle or a pedestrian. Get a Personal injury Solicitor as soon as you can.

We don’t share your personal info with anyone.
Whether you were the driver or not

Car Accident Claims – What Do I Do Next After a Collision?

There is an old saying “Failure to plan is like planning to fail”! If we knew in advance before we got into our car that we would be involved in a traffic accident by having a collision and that we would have suffered a personal injury then we would have chosen our accident claims solicitor in advance. It would have saved us time and effort when recovering from a personal injury.

We can call you after hours or on weekends at a time that suits you – just contact us and we will arrange everything.

For any type of auto accident claims questions, feel free to call us for advice today.

These types of claims can be stressing and medical attention should be sought straight away.

What you need now is an experienced and successful personal injury solicitor dealing with car accident claims on board immediately. Road accident claims are not as straightforward as they seem, and an experienced accident solicitor is what you need.

After a crash, make sure to alert the emergency services and your insurance company to tell them you were involved in the accident and where the scene of the accident was on the road.

Car accident claims need not be stressful once you get the correct advice from a road accident solicitor who specialises in road traffic accidents and can help with any accident claim or car crash in Ireland if you were the driver or a passenger and received and injury in the collision.

Contact us at any time by phone or email with any questions on your road traffic accident you had in Ireland.


Don’t leave the scene after a traffic accident
Seek medical attention, if needed, for any injury you have.

Whether you were injured as a driver or passenger after being in motor vehicle accident
Call 01 524 0606 now for your consultation

Car accidents happen all the time and statistically someone who drives 20,000 kms a year will have between one accident or may be two major accidents in fifty years driving and up to fifteen minor scraps in that time. Hopefully you will not be involved in fatal accident claims.

So the chances are that you will need strong Personal Injury Solicitors Dublin by your side for your personal injury claim as a guide to damages. Accident claims are not as straight forward as they might seem in Ireland so contact us now.

Car Accident Claims
Auto Accidents You Need To Do The Following After A Car Crash Or Any Road Traffic Accident

Car Accident Checklist

  • In an accident if anybody else is injured then make them as comfortable as possible. If it is a fatal accident then leave the result and the cars to the Gardaí and the ambulance crew.
  • Call the emergency services from the scene of the accident and request an ambulance if anyone is injured and the Gardaí and if necessary the fire brigade if there is a fire or metal cutting is necessary due to damage. Please make sure that you tell the Gardaí exactly where you are!
  • Do not move the position of the cars but ensure that your property is safe guarded.
  • Take the details of the other cars or vehicles involved in the traffic accident at the accident scene including
  • Get the name and address of the driver or drivers involved in other words their contact information
  • Get the name and address of the owner or owners of the vehicles involved in the accident if different to the driver or drivers
  • Get the registration number of the vehicles or vehicle involved
  • Get the drivers insurance, including the name of the Insurance Company, the policy number and expiry date of the insurance policy for the vehicles or vehicle involved. If you can use the camera in your mobile phone to record the details. If it is night time note whether car lights are on or not.
  • Do not let anyone drive away while the details are being taken.
  • Give your auto insurance details, name and address and registration number to the other driver or drivers
  • Get the names and addresses of any third parties witness, especially passengers. This information may be useful to you and your Personal Injury Solicitors in your car accident claim for personal injury before you leave the scene of the traffic accident.
  • As all mobile ‘phones today have good cameras take photos of the scene of the accident, including the positioning of the cars after the accident and of any of the personal injuries sustained.
  • Tell the other car drivers and people involved at the scene of the accident that you will be reporting the details of the road traffic accident to your insurance company and the Gardaí, if the Gardaí are not present at the scene of the accident and do that as soon as you possibly can.
  • If any of the drivers involved in the traffic accident admits their liability at the scene pay no attention as often they will change their minds after taking legal advice. If liability is admitted, however then get it down in writing and get the driver who has admitted their liability or negligence and who caused the accident to sign the statement.
  • You will need to visit the Garda station (make sure when you call them see Para 2 above you get their address) shortly after the accident to obtain a copy of their car accident report as normally they produce a report on all accidents in public and especially a road traffic accident.
  • When it is physically possible for you and after seeking medical attention, you should take time to visit a Personal Injury solicitor who specialises in car accident claims. A car accident claims solicitors will look at your injuries sustained and give you claims advice and a claims estimate, based on the Book of Quantum, of the financial compensation you are entitled to for the pain and suffering sustained by you.
  • Unfortunately today more and more drivers involved in the accident have no valid vehicle insurance. In the event that the third party responsible for the road traffic accident has no insurance and is therefore an uninsured driver and no insurance company behind them your claims solicitor will explain the claims process with a body called the Motor Insurers Bureau of Ireland (MIBI). The insurance bureau of Ireland will take care of your assessment and settlement. The Motor Insurers bureau is set up by the government and the result is that they will look after you.
  • For sure it is not easy but as road traffic accidents are stressful you need at all times to remain calm, even though you may feel like taking it out on the other driver. Under NO circumstances should you speak and admit liability for the accident even when asked. DO not leave the scene of the accident, which is a common error until you have all the documentation and information as described above.

Allow us to get the claim you deserve
Call 01 524 0606 now

No foal no fee arrangements with solicitors in Dublin when you are injured

Many people feel strongly about how and why legal services should be made available to the general public. It is probably a fact that most people who are involved in an accident cannot afford to hire a Personal Injury Solicitor to help them with a Personal Injury Claim for the pain and suffering as a result of the accident. Does this make fair access to the law for all people?

In some countries there are instruments like legal aid to help people in these circumstances; but legal aid unfortunately in most countries is only available to fund lawyers in criminal cases only. Litigation is not generally covered by legal aid. Included in Litigation law are Personal Injury and Medical Negligence claims. This is where No Win No Fee agreements may be of use to you in making your personal injury claim.

So do not hesitate to find out more about No Win No Fee agreements and call now for your consultation or fill in the enquiry form (online claim) with your name and telephone number and we will get back to you shortly or at your convenience to fully explain No Win No Fee Solicitors agreements to you.

No Foal No Fee Regulations Advertising and Legal Fees

All solicitors in Ireland in Ireland are regulated by Law Society of Ireland. The Law Society prohibits the advertising in any form of No Win No Fee solicitors agreements; this includes flyers, brochures and websites; however there is no prohibition in allowing your Injury solicitor to offering a No Win No Fee agreement to you. Some people find this strange that on one side you cannot advertise No Win No Fee agreements but on the other you can offer them. This is the regulation and we have to live with it.

So do not hesitate to get more information and call now for your consultation or fill in the enquiry form (online claim) with your name and telephone number and we will get back to you shortly or at your convenience to fully explain No Win No Fee agreements to you.

The Motor Insurers Bureau of Ireland (MIBI) was set up a few years ago to take care of the growing number of people that drive without valid insurance and who are involved in a car accident. Some estimates now have the percentage of uninsured drivers on the road as high as 20%. This body makes sure that if you are involved in a road traffic accident and are seeking an injury compensation claim that you can address yourself to the MIBI.

The Statute of Limitations for bringing a personal injury or Medical Negligence claim in Ireland is two years from the day of the accident, except if you are a minor and have not yet attained your majority. In the case of Medical Negligence the two year period starts from the time that you discovered the possible negligence.

In Ireland legal advice is paid for according to the time put into the personal injury claim. In some countries the personal injury lawyers are allowed to charge what is known as a “Success Fee” which is normally a percentage of the financial redress awarded the injured party. This success fee is not allowed in Ireland. All solicitors are regulated by the Law Society of Ireland and they require the following statement on all paper material, correspondence, brochures, websites and flyers “In contentious business a solicitor may not calculate fees or other charges as a percentage or proportion of any award or settlement.”

The Law Society of Ireland also does not allow the advertising of No Win No Fee agreements. Your personal injury solicitors can therefore explain the details behind No Win No Fee agreements. So do not hesitate and either call us now for further information or fill in your contact details on the contact form (enquiry form) on the website and we will call you back at your convenience.

All car accident claims go first of all with your medical report to the Injuries Boards. The Injuries Boards will assess your car accident claim over some months and then will make a recommendation for settlement. Neither of the parties is obliged to accept their recommendation as you might think that it is too low and the opposing insurance company might think it is too high. If this is the case your car accident solicitor will attempt to negotiate a settlement with the insurance company and if that fails then you may well end up in court. However, in our experience less than 5% of road traffic claims go to court.

Popular Questions Around No Win No Fee Legal Claims

How much will my insurance go up after an accident in Ireland?

The answer depends on where liability (or fault) lies. If you are not responsible for the accident, your insurer will endeavour to recoup the cost of the repairs to your vehicle from the persons insurer whose fault it was. If they are successful in recouping all of the costs, your accident will be recorded as a non-fault claim on your insurance record and your insurance premium should not increase.

What happens after a car accident is not your fault in Ireland?

If you are not responsible for the accident, you can claim for all vehicle repairs, out of pocket expenses (including loss of earning) and if you are injured, you can make a claim for personal injuries. The Personal Injuries Assessment Board (PIAB), formerly known as the Injuries Board, is a statutory body which assesses how much compensation is due to an injured person.

How much is soft tissue damage worth?

Figures released by the Injuries Board recently showed that the average PIAB award for soft tissue injuries was €18,581 in general damages (pain and suffering), plus €1,456 in special damages (medical expenses, loss of earnings, and other costs). The Injuries Board study of the amounts it awarded found that around 70% of all road traffic accident claims relate to soft tissue injury claims.

How do you pay out of pocket in a car accident?

If you are not responsible for the accident, you can claim for all out of pocket expenses (including medical expenses, loss of earnings, and other costs). You must remember that you can only recoup these out of pocket expenses by submitting vouched receipts and a certificate detailing your net loss of earnings. A useful tip is to write on the back of each receipt what it relates to (eg pharmacy costs, physiotherapy etc..,).

How long does it take to get a settlement for a car accident?

Settlement of a car accident claim is in two parts. The first part is repairing your vehicle and getting you a hire car. This process normally takes 10-21 days. The second part is if you are making a claim for any injuries sustained. This will depend on the severity of your injuries, but figures released by the Injuries Board recently showed that the average time to settle a soft tissue injury claim was seven months.

What do I do if I'm in a car accident?

Firstly, check yourself and other parties for injuries. Secondly, get to a place of safety. Thirdly, if there are injuries call an ambulance. Fourthly, call the Garda and report the accident and take a note of the Garda’s name and badge number. Fifthly exchange information (names/insurance details/names of witnesses/vehicle registration numbers/make and model of each vehicle) and take a video/pictures of all vehicles involved. Finally, report the accident to your insurance company.

How Do You Settle a Car Accident Claim

Is it necessary or advisable for anyone who suffers a personal injury to contact their solicitor or can they deal with the injuries board directly?

motor insurance gardai and car accidentsIf you have been involved in a car accident, this information will allow you to make sure that you can deal with your car accident claim as soon as possible. In fact, the longer you delay dealing with what happened at the scene of the accident, the worse it will be with the Gardai, your insurance company, your insurance policy and everything in between.

Let us start by speaking about what people typically do with their car accident claims. When it comes to a road traffic collision, most don’t deal with this car accident immediately because they think the process is long. They think that dealing with the injuries board directly is the way to go. They might even leave the accident scene and decide to deal with it later.

They say, “I’ll visit the garda station later, leaving my name address there so they can sort out the road traffic accident”. The problem with this is that many things can do wrong with your claim compensation when you do this. It’s a fact that when it comes to personal injury claims or car accident claims in terms of a motor vehicle accident, there’s only one best way to deal with the auto accident.

Should you hire a Dublin personal injury solicitor?

One thing that is crucial when it comes to road traffic claims due to a car accident is the ever-increasing question – should I contact my solicitor to help me with vehicle accidents or should I go directly to the injuries board? The truth is that when you are dealing with a car accident claim, you want people to be on your side. This means that if you go directly to the injuries board regarding your road accident, chances are that this will not be the case.

This Board makes Assessments on hundreds of cases cases per day, while your expert personal injury Solicitor will be giving your case individual and personal attention.

What we recommend is that you contact a solicitor that has the experience needed in getting his clients the best award in car accident claims because in this manner you will ensure that your solicitor will speak on your behalf and get you the best result possible.

Let us also speak about your insurance details. Chances are that when one is involved in an accident that deals with collisions, your car registration number will be highlighted and this can change important policies regarding your motor insurance.

With the help of a solicitor, you will also be given the best advice on how to proceed with this. Furthermore, when it comes to road traffic accidents, you don’t want such an accident to negatively influence what comes after, which is another reason for you to have a solicitor that is on your side and fighting to get you the best outcome possible.

What is the first step if you are injured in a road traffic accident and wish to make a personal injury claim?

Finally, let us speak about the most important part of this all. The injuries that occurred at the scene are the thing that causes the most long term effects because you could suffer from a variety of different injuries.

This means that the solicitor that you hire needs to be an expert when it comes to dealing with an injury in order to ensure that you get the most out of the situation.

Your crashed car may come and go but your injury and health are of the utmost importance. This is also important when it comes to the insurance details – the way the accident is reported makes a world of difference when it comes to your injury.

A good solicitor will also contact all the witnesses on your behalf and use this information to go to the insurance company and get the best possible result for you.

Vehicle collision Accident Do I Need a Solicitor?

When it comes to dealing with a car crash Ireland, you definitely need to keep the above information in mind. It is crucial to get the right car accident solicitor for your situation by dealing with what happened at the scene of the accident.

Accident claims are done in droves everyday but not all are done right. Be aware that if you do not go directly to a good solicitor, your traffic accident might not be reported correctly which leads to a lot of headache down the line.

An injury is also something that adds to the pain of it all, which is another reason to do this right in the first place. Car crash claims in a road traffic accident are not a joke and dealing with them properly ensures the best outcome for you.

Deal with your accident in the right way by hiring a solicitor that will fight your battle till the end and get you the outcome you need and deserve.

Gary Matthews Solicitors

Personal injury solicitors and Medical negligence solicitors, Dublin

We help people every day of the week (weekends and bank holidays included) that have either been injured or harmed as a result of an accident or have suffered from negligence or malpractice.

Contact us at our Dublin office to get started with your claim today

Gary Matthews Solicitors